Going to college can be exciting and challenging for any student. For students who have never had to advocate for themselves, the transition from high school to college can be difficult.
The answers to each of these five questions can help students with disabilities transitioning to college better understand themselves and their needs. In addition, the answers can also help them be better prepared to meet with disability service provide
- What type of person are you now and do you want to be in the future?
- Can you describe your disability or disabilities and whether you have documentation?
- How do you learn best in the classroom and in daily life?
- What accommodations, including any assistive technology or adaptive equipment, did you receive or try in high school and/or daily life?
- How and when do you advocate for yourself?
Questions courtesy Tom Heffron, the education director of disability services and financial aid at the Wisconsin Technical College System,