Assistive Technology Consultant Shelley Haven, is a certified Assistive Technology Professional (ATP) and a Rehabilitation Engineering Technologist (RET) with more than 30 years of experience.
Haven specializes in learning differences, ADHD & executive functioning. At her website, TECHnology to Unlock POTENTIAL, Havens provides listings of links to a variety of apps.
Because many software tools perform multiple functions, it’s difficult to list technologies by category such as “Technologies for Reading” and “Technologies for Writing” — certain tools would show up in several places — Havens lists the apps by broader topics in a more eclectic manner.
- Listening to Recorded Audiobooks
- Simple text-to-speech, E-readers with text-to-speech and other tools
- Read, Write & Study Software Suites
- Resources for Alternatives to Printed Text – Electronic Text (E-text) and Narrated Audiobooks
- Graphic Organizer and Mind Map Software
- Portable Word Processors
- Speech recognition (speech-to-text)
- PDF Annotation
- Assorted Reading & Writing Aids
- Taking Notes & Organizing Notes
- Math Notation, Graphing & Drawing
- Math Concepts
- Assorted Aids for Attention and Executive Functioning
- Mobile Computing
- Interactive Electronic Whiteboards and Whiteboard Capture
- Alternative Access for Computer & iPad
- Virtualization software (allows Windows to run on Macs)
The value of the lists at this toolbox page is that you may be introduced to an unfamiliar app or discover new or updated information about an app you already use.
Note: Havens works in the California peninsula area and the San Francisco Bay area. She also works remotely with clients.